Today we got a surprise half day because of the heat – well, the students did. What I got was two extra hours to get things ready for the end of the year and luckily next school year also! I created two bulletin boards for September. One for classroom rules that I plan on keeping up all year and one to jumpstart the school year. Check them out!!
This week I put up my October bulletin board and it came out GREAT! I’m so excited about how it turned out. The only thing that could have made it better would be a black sparkly border. Next time! I came up with this idea through various different pins on pinterest. I saw an idea where the student’s faces were put on styrofoam balls and they created themselves as a stand alone spider. The result was hilarious and I had to find a way to adapt it for a bulletin board.
I had the students make funny faces and had them printed. As you can see there are a few really big heads and a few really small – that was due to not knowing how large I needed their heads to be! It ended up working out though, I like the variety in sizes. For bigger heads, just take their pictures close up (obviously). Next, I had them use pipe cleaners to create the body of the spider. Three for the legs and one wrapped around the center for the body. I showed them how to bend the legs and how to curl them using your finger. When they were done making the legs as crazy as they wanted, I helped tape their cut-out heads onto the pipe cleaner body.
I used black bulletin board paper as the background. Then I stapled spider webbing al over the board (Disclaimer – it took A LOT of staples!). I then put up the black boarder and began to staple up the spiders. I placed the staples at the end of the legs so that they really popped out, kind of like 3D!
I’ve gotten so many compliments since I put it up – everyone seems to love it! Their little faces are so funny and it makes for a fun, silly, and (a little bit) spooky halloween fun!
September is coming to an end and I’ve realized the lack of posting that I’ve done. So, here’s a look back at our September bulletin board! I can’t take much credit – my cooperating teacher came up with the idea and helped me to execute it. I truly just drew a model and put it up!
Anyway, we had each of the students draw their self-portrait. We helped them with drawing their heads in order to ensure that we didn’t end up with 17 pictures of little tiny people. After that – they were all on their own. We made sure that none of the students wrote their names on their picture. Once they were finished, I put a number in the bottom right hand corner before stapling the pictures to the bulletin board. On Back to School Night, parents were asked to write down the number of the portrait they believed was their student. If they were right, they received a huge winner sticker the next day!
It was cute to see how the students believed they looked and how they added certain details that really did make these portraits look like them! Also a great icebreaker activity for the parents. On pinterest, I saw it where the portraits were cut out and taped to the chair of the desks to show where each student sat and parents had to guess where to sit based on finding their child’s portrait – also a super cool idea!
Hope everyone’s first month of school has gone smoothly and that you’re all excited for October!